It is one of the most beautiful experiences given to humanity to experience myself as I truly am. It is a moment of freedom and joy, of peace and equanimity. So often I am busy defending my personality project that I lose sight of who I really am. But when I am able to simply be the person God created me to be while with another in that space of freedom, something truly wonderful unfolds, even if it is only for a moment. I live for those moments and desire more of them. In fact, that is one of the reasons I married my wife Lyn (going on 34 years!).
I praise You,
for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Wonderful are your works;
that I know very well.
The human body is truly an incredible specimen. Don’t believe it? Take a look at these ten facts, you’ll be surprised at what you learn.
- Infants are born with approximately 300 bones, but as they grow some of these bones fuse together. By the time they reach adulthood, they only have 206 bones.
- More than half of your bones are located in the hands, wrists, feet, and ankles.
- Every second, your body produces 25 million new cells. That means in 15 seconds, you will have produced more cells than there are people in the United States.
- The largest bone in the human body is the femur, also known as the thigh bone. The smallest bone is the stirrup bone, which is located inside your ear drum.
- There is anywhere between 60,000-100,000 miles of blood vessels in the human body. If they were taken out and laid end-to-end, they would be long enough to travel around the world more than three times.
- Teeth are considered part of the skeletal system, but are not counted as bones.
- Despite accounting for 2% of our body mass, the brain uses 20% of our oxygen and blood supply.
- While humans are not the biggest, fastest, or strongest animals around, we are the best at something: long distance running. Our long legs, upright posture, and ability to shed heat via sweat are all factors that make us good runners. In fact, early humans used to hunt their prey by chasing it for long periods of time until the animals literally died from exhaustion, a technique known as persistence hunting.
- About 60% of your body is made up of water.
- Pound for pound, your bones are stronger than steel. A block of bone the size of a matchbox can support up to 18,000 pounds of weight.
From the website Orthopedic Specialty Group, P.C.
I am a wonder! You are a wonder! And we are wonderful!
Consider for a moment a piece of art or music or poetry or literature. Allow yourself to really see or hear it for what it is. Create the space to receive this wonder. There is something in that creation that is more than the materials that the artist used to bring it into being. There is something of the artist put into the work that touches me where I am and changes me as a result.
I am a masterpiece of God’s creation, fearfully and wonderfully made, awe-inspiring! God has given me…and YOU!…to the world as a piece of art to be beheld in awe by the rest of creation. When I can rest in the person God has created me to be, instead of the one I fashion for the world, a gift comes forth for the world. It is the place of perfect freedom, perfect joy and perfect peace.